Civil unrest is defined as acts of violence and disorder that are against public law and order. This includes riots, insurrections, unlawful obstructions and assemblages. Some causes of these events are poverty, unemployment, poor living conditions, governmental oppression and conflicts between different groups.
Since 2019, various mass protests have taken place in many cities of Iraq as a way for people to fight against corruption and the national government. To this day in 2021, there are still incidents of riots and rallies done by the Iraqis.
In the most recent demonstration last May 25, one protestor was shot dead and dozens of people were injured during a rally in Baghdad. If you plan to join a protest or are faced with a similar situation, remember to put your safety as the top priority. Know how you can stay safe during civil unrest, here at Mitv Online:
All the safety tips you should keep in mind
Whether you plan to become a protestor or find yourself caught up in a riot, your safety takes precedence over anything else. As much as it is important to voice your opinion and let your pleas be heard, don’t let it be at the cost of your life. To help you keep safe during times of conflict or uncertainties, we’ve rounded up different safety tips depending on your current situation:
During a protest
- Keep yourself away from leaders or agitators during protests or riots
- Breakaway from the crowd and find refuge in a nearby building
- Walk away slowly and avoid running to not draw any unwanted attention
- If you are arrested by the police or military, do not resist and go along with them peacefully
- If you are swept along in the crowd, create a space for yourself by holding your wrists and bracing your elbows away from your sides while bending over slightly
- Keep calm to help you think clearly
- If you hear any gunshots, drop to the ground and cover your head and neck while lying flat on the floor.
During your stay in any kind of accommodation
- Don’t leave your accommodation or go into the street
- Contact your embassy or consulate and tell them about your situation and whereabouts
- If you hear gunfire or explosions outside, stay away from windows and don’t be tempted to check what’s going on
- Stay in an inside room that has greater protection from gunfire, rocks or grenades
- If there is a protest happening outside your hotel, ask the hotel management to keep you updated about the situation.
Be updated on the latest at Mitv Online
Browse through Mitv Online for the latest news and updates about the different happenings in Iraq. We have everything you need to know about the country such as reports of civil unrest, new protocols regarding the pandemic and more.